Welcome to A.S. Clark & Sons!
In 1947, fresh out of the army, Archie Stewart Clark worked at the family saw mill and farm in East Dover. He delivered lumber throughout New England. Archie's mother tried to keep the business running after his father died in 1949.
A bad burn accident prevented Archie from being able to tend to the farm and saw mill activities. He bought a Mack truck and went into business for himself selling and delivering lumber for area saw mills. Due to an economic decline in the lumber business, Archie sold his lumber truck and bought a small loader backhoe tractor.
A.S. Clark's first job was to bury a deceased horse for which he was paid with a gallon of maple syrup. He continued this work which ranged from the Vermont Welcome Center on Interstate 91, all the way to the base lodge at Stratton Mountain.
In 1971, Archie's son, Win, decided to help his father with the business; changing the name to A.S. Clark & Son. Together they bought a bulldozer and several trucks. Then in 1977, Archie's other son, also named Archie, joined the business; changing the name one last time to A.S. Clark & Sons.